Sunday, September 14, 2008

Friends Are The Family You Choose

I have an awesome best friend. Her name is Crystal. Seriously, I couldn't ask for a better friend. We met in junior high in 8th grade, but we weren't friends right away. We didn't actually start to get to know each other very well until 9th grade when we were both on the school yearbook staff. She had another best friend at the time (let's call her "Yesth they hate me" - an inside joke and a loooong story), who coincidentally did NOT like me. Crystal and I hit it off though, and when we both ended up on our high school yearbook staff together, we quickly became friends (YTHM faded away and ended up with a very LDS crowd - probably best for her, really - anyway, I digress). We both had a passion for photography, sports, and doing well at school. Crystal was Valedictorian of Hunter High, I was Sterling Scholar in Social Science. We shared the title of Co-Editors in Chief of our school yearbook and had a blast our senior year. I look back at high school with fond memories and no regrets. We both went on to attend the University of Utah and were each other's support system while we each worked on our Bachelor's degrees. I count being blessed with her friendship and support over the years as one of the best things that has happened to me.

At a friend's wedding


She has been there for me through the darkest days of my life and always proves herself a true friend. I know that if I ever needed anything, she would move heaven and earth to help me. We've been through a lot together.. She was in my wedding, I was in her wedding, you get the idea. She's pretty much like a sister to me.

Our 5 year high school reunion.. Go Hunter!
New Year's Eve 2003 - Always the goofballs!
Crystal & Eric's wedding
When I found out I was pregnant, Crystal was the first person I called to tell. I asked her straight away if she would be there with me when Tyson was born. I needed her there. Not only because she is an RN, but because she is my family. She was there with me through the whole labor and wept with me as Tyson came into the world. What a cherished memory.

Tyson and Auntie Crystal

Tyson and Uncle Eric

Tyson's favorite past time - reading, of course!


Crystal and Eric had been trying to get pregnant for about 6 months when I finally got the anticipated call... they were expecting! Doug and I were so excited for them. I was even more excited because she asked me to be there with her when their baby was born. I felt so privileged to be invited to such a special event. I waited (not so patiently I'm afraid) and waited and on Thursday, September 11 Crystal called... her water had broken! I rushed over to the hospital and spent all night with her, along with Eric and her family.


Let me just say that Crystal is one of the strongest people I know. Having been at mine and seen what I went through, she had high hopes that hers would be just as smooth. Unfortunately, her epidural didn't seem to work as well and she experienced quite a bit of pain throughout the entire labor. Despite all that, she never gave up and hardly complained at all. I am so proud of her for being brave and so strong. She did an awesome job and at 4:17 AM on September 12, little Jesse Gordon Hill came into the world. I cried with her as we realized that he was here. He is beautiful and is a perfect combination of everything that is wonderful in both Crystal and Eric.
Hi Mom! I'm here!

Handsome boy!!

The Hill family


Jesse and his proud Auntie Michelle

Congratulations Crystal and Eric on the new addition to your family. I look forward to many more years and memories with you guys!

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

The baby is really cute! Congratulations to the new Auntie!

Redhoodoos said...

What a nice post about your friend. The baby is adorable!

I tagged you on my blog!