Monday, March 1, 2010

The Power of the Dog

About two weeks ago I lost my dear friend Tasha. She was a special girl with a bright smile and a loving heart. She lived a good, long life of 16 years. She loved to camp and swim and was so excited when I got home that she would run to the nearest room and pick up a stray sock and carry it around in her mouth with a gigantic grin on her adorable face. I think the reason I loved her so much was because in spite of all the stress surrounding the divorce of my parents at age 14, she was always there for me and never wavered in her love. She was a wonderful companion for my Mom during these times, especially when I left home. I feel blessed to have had her part of my life for so many years.
Always a silly girl, she loved throwing herself on the ground and wriggling to-and-fro for a good back scratch.As a teenager I loved it when she would come lay with me in bed.

Camping was her favorite past time and she always staked her claim on the good camp chair.

In her senior years, she couldn't see or hear very well. It worked out that Tyson loved walking her because they kept each other from wandering too far!

I can't help but think of my own two dogs now that I am grown and how they will impact not only me in the future but Tyson's feelings as well. They adore him like any dog should adore his/her boy and he does them as well. In fact just tonight I walked into the living room and found Tyson hugging Dakota and he said to me, "Mom, this is my best friend, 'Kota." I smiled to myself and thought of the Rudyard Kipling poem, The Power of the Dog. If you have not read it, see below. It is a moving poem about the love of a dog.

Eden is ever-patient with Tyson and would get very antsy if I let him cry too long as an infant. She is still very protective of him.
Dakota is the "fun" one and loves to wrestle and play with Tyson. They are truly the perfect duo of a boy and his dog.

THE POWER OF THE DOG - Rudyard Kipling
There is sorrow enough in the natural way

From men and women to fill our day;

And when we are certain of sorrow in store,

Why do we always arrange for more?

Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware

Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
Buy a pup and your money will buy

Love unflinching that cannot lie

Perfect passion and worship fed

By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.

Nevertheless it is hardly fair

To risk your heart for a dog to tear.
When the fourteen years which Nature permits

Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,

And the vet's unspoken prescription runs

To lethal chambers or loaded guns,

Then you will find - it's your own affair, -

But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.
When the body that lived at your single will,

With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!),

When the spirit that answered your every mood

Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,

You will discover how much you care,

And will give your heart to a dog to tear!
We've sorrow enough in the natural way,

When it comes to burying Christian clay.

Our loves are not given, but only lent,

At compound interest of cent per cent,

Though it is not always the case, I believe,

That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve;

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,

A short-time loan is as bad as a long - So why in - Heaven (before we are there)

Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

4 comments:

jenn said...

Couldn't agree more. Dogs are the best friends you could ask for. As sad as it is to lose them, I have some wonderful memories of wonderful dogs in my life.

Michelle said...

Oh,I am so sorry - and that poem has me in tears. It's hard to lose a pet.

Chelsea said...

What a beautiful and sweet post. I'm sorry about your Mom's dog. How sad. It made me think about loosing our dog Jake in the future.

Tom said...

Great post. Like Chelsea, I don't like to think about losing Jake. Hopefully it's a long time before we'll go through this.