Friday, February 7, 2014

Go Big.

Hi friends. It's been nearly three years to the day since I posted something on this blog and quite frankly it's because it's been a pretty shitty few years. My ten year marriage came to a tumultuous end and after trying to pick up the pieces and focus on my son, I finally feel like I have my feet beneath me again. 

Although I'm far from religious, I do find that I am spiritual at times and I'm a big believer in karma. I live by the "golden rule" and try to be kind to others. I love deeply and without regret. I know that life is never certain nor is it perfect, but right now, at this very moment, it's pretty damn close. Let's catch up, shall we?

It's safe to say I'm officially a marathoner, having tackled five of them so far, with my latest being September's Big Cottonwood Marathon. It was by far my favorite marathon experience. Ever. The day was perfect, my body was in tune and everything felt right. I was seeking a sub-four hour finish time and was elated when I approached the finisher's chute and saw that the clock was still under the elusive four hour mark. After my disappointing finish months earlier in the Ogden Marathon, I felt a surge of joy and pumped my hands in the air at the sight. This was the first time I'd ever taken on the 26.2 on my own. Normally I race with my fantastic aunt and a group of great running friends but his one was 100% me.. and it.felt.great.

Love.
For a long time, I didn't think I would find it again. I felt broken. I dated a slew of men who all never seemed quite right. Inevitably any time I felt like I had found someone I could see myself with, I was always disappointed. I tried blind dates, dating guys I'd known for many years, even online dating was difficult and frustrating. Finally, when I was about to give up, I met Brandon. Neither of us is perfect and our relationship has been through the ringer but he's helped me believe in love again.


Fulfillment.
Having earned my degree in Environmental Studies 11 years ago, I have always dreamed of working in a job that I felt I was meaningful and rewarding. I could not use those words to describe the nearly 8 years I put in of working with needy doctors. Yet again, life opened a door for me at the most opportune time: A non-profit organization who I had watched from a distance in college was hiring. They are known as Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance and are self-proclaimed defenders of Utah's redrock wilderness. What at first seemed like it had to be too good to be true turned out to be a godsend. I was tired of the inter-office drama and bored beyond belief in my position. I was both eclipsed with fear at the massive change and excited at the possibility of a new job in an organization that supports something I am already passionate about! Three months later and it is only now that I realize how unhappy I was at my previous job. I feel like I am home. Loving what you do and who you work with are a critical part of being happy with your life. 

My Everything.
Tyson is now 6 1/2. He is my best friend in the world and my heart is so full of love for that little man. He is the only constant in my life and although he has no idea, his unfailing love helped me through the rough times. He is constantly reminding me that there is more to life than work; that love is blind; to smile more and that we can all afford to be a little kinder.
Starting very soon I am going to be an ambassador for a new internet company known as Ramblen. It's a website devoted to helping travelers who are health and fitness minded but in new cities and need suggestions on places to eat/recreate/etc. It's a new adventure for me and I am excited to be a part of it.

Stay tuned!


1 comment:

Steph said...

I love how you put yourself out there like this -- way to be STRONG! :)