Thursday, April 2, 2009

Forgive me blogger, for I have sinned...

It has been 14 days since my last post. I wish I could say I was doing something fun, like a blogcation. Sadly it's just that our household has been a little chaotic as of late.

Where to begin? First, I am sad to say that dear Mel passed on. Didn't I mention that I was bad with fish? How hard can it be? Feed them, clean out the bowl once in a while, right? Honestly. It breaks my heart when Tyson walks into the kitchen and points at the bowl and says "Mel?" Like he's asking, where did he go? We are working on getting Mel2 soon. With an upgraded tank (and a less expensive gold fish).

Another exciting event (said with a touch of sarcasm from moi) is that Tyson is now exiting his crib. On his own. Funny story actually.

It all started with one night last week when we were trying so hard to make it through the night without any interruptions (i.e. wailing child due to stuffy nose, dogs puking - another story, another post) when I was awoken at midnight by wailing child. In my zombie state, I shuffled to his bedroom, laid him back down in his bed and grumbled something like "Go back to sleep" and shuffled back to my own bed.

Three and a half hours later, in my half-asleep state I hear him moan and talking in his sleep. I sit upright in bed. That does not sound like he is in his own room. I get up to go check on him, this time going through the bathroom door that connects to our room. For some reason the door is stuck and will not open. Still not fully conscious, I force the door open and look down. There, laying on the linoleum is little man sucking his thumb and fast asleep with two blankies (yes, my Linus planned ahead and brought two). I recall growling, "What are you DOING?!"

I scoop him up and don't have the heart to go put him back in his bed so I take him to our bed. Ordinarily, reason would remind me that this child does not do well sleeping with us (nor do we do well sleeping with him) but it is 3:30 AM and reason is obviously fast asleep. Oh how I wish I was too. After 45 minutes of his tossing and turning and staring at the ceiling, I give up and carry him back to his bed.

Although I didn't take photos at the time, I had him re-create the climbing out of his bed so that I could share his new talent with everyone. He happily complied.

On a lighter note, we are headed to Phoenix over Easter and looking forward to sunny skies and visits with sorely missed loved ones. I am counting the days!


Kristina P. said...

He looks like my brother at that age, with those little blonde curls!

Cynthia said...

Oh my stink he's cute! How could any Mama resist those curls? It was so compliant of him to demonstrate his climbing ability for the edification of the rest of us.

Michelle said...

I've been wondering where you were...poor Mel. The first time my oldest crawled out of his crib it scared him so badly he didn't do it again for about six months, I'm guessing your Tyson is like my little one who instantly thought it a ticket to freedom. Have fun in Arizona. We're headed to Moab and I can't wait!

Christy said...

Fish:Just a little FYI I heard that gold fish do well in numbers so maybe condider two or even three. Also when cleaning the tank don't take out all of the old water. Something about PH balance and shock.
Tyson:sounds like toddler bed time. :0)