Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Work In Progress

As I was working in the yard today, I started reminiscing about how much we've done in the four years we've lived here. Granted, there's not a lot you can do on .10 acre, but I think we've come a long way. Take a journey with me down memory lane!

This is our home shortly before purchasing it. It's clearly a fixer upper. Look at the lovely grass (brown) and beautiful garden (NOT). I had no idea what work I was in for. You see, prior to buying this home, I didn't have much of a green thumb. It was more on the brown side. Boy have I learned a lot!







A month after moving into our first home, Doug's Dad gave us some free sod (he had ordered WAY too much for his house). We had to tear out all of the old, dead grass (and weeds in the back) and find a few rain-free days to lay the new sod before it died. It was a rough fall - it rained nearly every good opportunity we had to lay it. Nevertheless, we managed to get it down and the following spring, beautiful grass covered my yard.



Here's how the backyard looked. Don't be fooled by the green ground cover and the weed-like tree. It was hideous to look at. It all had to go.


The summer after the grass had been layed, I decided that I wanted to take the big muddy area by my back gate and turn it into something a little more pleasing to the eye. So Doug and I spent many weekends tilling the clay-like dirt and leveling it so that I could put some good soil in and the stone path you see here. Oh and I managed to plant a few perennials. Note the temporary fence to keep Dee-duh-dee (aka Dakota) out of it. Didn't work, btw. He cleared it without any trouble. Oh well.




Here is how it looks today. Much more aesthetic if you ask me. I love the Clematis (the flowers climbing the trellis). And the Peony has to be one of my favorite flowers. They are so delicate and fragile and the blooms last less than a week.





After dealing with a set of rickety, moldy and slippery (seriously - I slipped down them numerous times!) stairs for two years, I had had enough. We designed a deck for ourselves using Lowe's software program and set out to build it over the 4th of July weekend. We invited (ok begged) some family and friends to come help and in two days built what has turned out to be a beautiful deck. It has been a great place for BBQs since our kitchen is so small and we have loved it. I am never satisfied however, so this summer I decided that I wanted something to cover the deck from the summer heat. You see, this is Tyson's first summer walking and stepping out onto a blistering hot deck just doesn't gel with bare feet (which we are often). So again I solicited the help of my brothers and Doug to build me a canopy for my lovely deck. They did not fail me. It turned out magnificent!




And this is how it looks today. My haven. It's so relaxing now to go sit on the deck or walk around and admire the wonderful changes that have taken place. There are some things that need work, mind you.









Like everything else, this all used to be dirt and weeds. I made an attempt to put groundcover and bark with a few plants, but the dogs saw to it that nothing survived except for the weeds. Weeds always survive. So last fall we decided to create flower beds using some lumber and railroad ties. My plan is to plant tons of lilies. I've already started a few, as you can see. More to come thanks to Brecks - Love them! The middle portion there is planned to be paving stone with a nice covered swing. Maybe next summer. And lastly, here is our first vegetable garden ever. We are doing quite well so far! We have a few tomatoes, strawberries, melons, squash, pumpkin and peppers. We're even attempting to grow an artichoke! We'll see how it does with the climate...



Anyway, thanks for taking a trip down memory lane with me! It's been a treat to go through the photos from 2004 until now and watch the changes and progress. More to come, I am sure!

1 comment:

Redhoodoos said...

You really are quite artistic and creative, aren't you?! I seriously look at my back yard and don't know where to begin. I think it takes a certain talent to be able to look at the way a yard is and envision it to be the way you want it to look.

Creature read your blog - then looked in my back yard. He gave me a total tongue-lashing about the condition of my garden area and apparently thinks I can do better. Whatever.

Looks awesome, my friend!